This week on the podcast, we are diving into how to overcome overwhelm. Overwhelm is something that so many of us are battling as we come out of 2020 and into 2021, not only as business owners but as mothers and wives.
We are all taking on more than we ever have had to take on in the past.
IE 220: Overcoming Overwhelm in Your Business
We want to make sure we cover all the different aspects of overcoming that feeling of being completely overwhelmed. I have a resource to help you with this: the “Mastering Overwhelm Blueprint.”
This blueprint walks you through 5 steps to get your time back. It will help you get your time back and give you more clarity on what you should be focusing your time and energy on.
What’s Causing Your Overwhelm?
The very first thing we need to unpack when it comes to this topic is understanding what actually causes us to feel overwhelmed.
In prior years, the feeling of overwhelm came from trying to get your kids dropped off at school, picking them up on time, getting them to after-school activities, and running your business while the baby was napping.
But 2020 showed us that things can be a lot more overwhelming than we ever imagined.
Some of us had to begin crisis-homeschooling. Some of us had to quarantine and weren’t able to leave our homes. Some of us were worried about family members and their health.
There was more stress and overwhelm that came with things being so unexpected and unprecedented. We had never experienced anything like what we went through in 2020.
Now that we know what we can handle, we can move forward. We just have to figure out the right path to start out on.
The Five Emotional Signs of Overwhelm
These are the five emotional signs that you are stressed/overwhelmed:
- Unmotivated (I have an episode about complacency that I released earlier this year)
- Trouble sleeping
- Racing thoughts
- Problems with your memory
If you see any of these signs in yourself, then you are probably dealing with overwhelm.
If you are unmotivated or have those racing thoughts, it will not allow you to run your business effectively. And you will struggle with being a good wife and mom if you are constantly irritable and tired.
So how do you de-stress? What do you do to get rid of that feeling of being overwhelmed?
I’m going to share some tips with you on the best ways to care for yourself and make sure you are de-stressing in the process.
- Meditate. Meditation can be as simple as doing a guided session using an app like Calm. You can try taking a couple of deep breaths and centering yourself. Try and clear your mind in the process, eliminating as many of those racing thoughts as possible.
- Exercise. Whether you go for a walk, a run, or use a structured program, exercise allows you to release endorphins that put you in a better mood. It’s an easy stress reliever.
- Be one with nature. I know this might sound a bit woo-woo but just stay with me. When is the last time you went for a walk? Try it, and pay attention to what you hear and see. Notice the trees, the clouds, the sunshine. It is so soothing to pay attention to what is happening around you.
- Connect with those who understand you. You need to surround yourself with people who know you and love you. You need to have people around you who get you and who will uplift you. The characteristics that your friends have will become part of you. Choose those who have characteristics that you admire.
Major on the Majors
Once you focus on those ways of combating stress, you can work on not being overwhelmed by choosing what you are going to focus on, but you cannot know what you want to focus on until you know your ideal person.
You want to make sure you are on the right social media platforms, creating the right content, and only doing what you need to do. You cannot do everything, and if you try, nothing will be done well.
You Are The Guide
As my audience told me more of what they needed and wanted, my business grew.
You are the guide on your avatar’s journey. Your job is to help them reach their destination as safely as possible.
Focus on what your person needs and wants to gain from the journey. Offer them the transformation that they are looking for.
As women, we wear multi-tasking as a badge of honor. Those badges of honor might also look like racing thoughts, trouble sleeping, and having a hard time remembering things. Make sure that “multi-tasking” is not just another term for stress and overwhelm.
Make sure you get the Mastering Overwhelm Blueprint that will walk you through everything from understanding your avatar to batching your content. It will be super helpful for you as you work on overcoming any stress or overwhelm you are experiencing in your life today.
- If you liked this episode of Influencer Entrepreneurs, please subscribe and leave a fabulous review!
- Join the conversation on Instagram by tagging Jenny when you’re listening to the podcast. She’ll send you a personal message whenever you tag her.